[LAD] new-session-management on jackaudio.org

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun Apr 4 23:54:20 CEST 2021

On 4/4/21 10:29 PM, Nils Hilbricht wrote:

> Then somebody interjected with
>> "Note that Non-Session-Manager (NSM) is explicitly designed without any dependency to JACK."
>
> To which I responded:
>
> And it still is. You can use it with ALSA only, no sound programs at all or PipeWire. And so it will remain.
>
> That said, NSM in reality is the usual answer to "I have multiple JACK programs and connections. How can I save and restore them without doing it by hand every time". All NSM clients are JACK programs and the Non-SM API document handles JACK client names in great detail.
>
> Please all remember, that we are just talking about a piece of software that starts programs and removes the burden of repeatedly drawing lines on a patchbay canvas.

please read the subject line!

- it's about the new-session-management move to jackaudio.org and only.

- it is NOT about the merits, technical or otherwise, of session
managers in general nor NSM in particular.

and as all you might know, NSM still is and have always been, since long
before this mess arised, the recommended session management on most of
yours truly qstuff and where it mattered.

thanks
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org