[LAD] new-session-management on jackaudio.org

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Apr 5 21:31:55 CEST 2021

On 4/5/21 2:34 PM, hgn wrote:

> Just a certain individual doesn't want to stop. The list went into
> moderation for him not that long ago, that was a good move to get all
> that nonsense quiet.

I beg your pardon?
that person is not certainly me, or is he/she?
are you asking that I should be banned/moderated too?

that would be quite an interesting move...

though, I am still in the very strong and (strictly) technical opinion
that the target of "the fork" should have been about "jackpatch" in the
first place, and only.

"jackpatch" is a standalone utility program, that just happens to be the
real, and technically speaking, the "glue" to the JACK ecosystem--if you
don't put it on the graph, NSM won't represent the slightest joy to any
JACK client whatsoever nor their respective in-session connections.

formerly, "jackpatch" has been delivered by the original
"non-session-manager" source offering.

NSM, the protocol or NSM API, as you might prefer, allegedly will be the
same (or is it not?)

but some chose that it was about the whole dang bundle: the original
FLTK non-session-manager (or legacy-gui) but also the tiny "jackpatch"
thingie...

besides all the non-technical issues that I won't repeat here, i should
say that was a disgraceful move to begin with, that (double-handledly)
resulted in what you all know (and/or chose to ignore).

what I believe that would be the right thing to do: this hypothetical
"new-jackpatch" tool that maybe well be an addition to the official
jackaudio.org source tree and thus community-recommended thereafter, in
jack_tools, perhaps--just one official alternative with the
full-stamp-of-approval by jackaudio.org et al.

nb. people may still well choose whatever NSM *manager* he/she likes
most (argodejo, raysession, new-session-manager, even the original
non-session-manager, whatever... that would be great and possibly still
is, I believe.

but then, I digress... I apologize to bring you all this in such a rant,
sorry again.

promise I rest my case here, anyway:
I've made my stance and, as said on the OP, I don't really wish to hose
you with this matter anymore... wait, sorry :) as long as
"n..-session-manage(r|ment).jackaudio.org" won't ever be a thing!

nuff said

signing-off
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela