[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Fri Jul 2 01:32:59 CEST 2021

Let me say a bit more about my situation. I run a mix of Windows 10/11
(including Windows Subsystem for Linux) and Linux audio software. Some
is proprietary with a corporate support model, some is bundled with
hardware (NVIDIA Jetsons and Bela) and supported by the hardware
vendor, and some is open source projects, either my own or publicly
accessible in more recent versions than what's on the distro.

The particular incident that relates to Pipewire arose from the latter
category - I saw some interesting writing about Pipewire and wanted to
experiment with it on the NVIDIA Jetsons. They ship with an
NVIDIA-supported operating system called Linux for Tegra (L4T), which
is arm64 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" with some modifications and
enhancements for the hardware platform. When I downloaded Pipewire and
tried to install it from source, it did not build because some
libraries on 18.04 are too old.

In this case I do *not* have the option to upgrade to 20.04 until
NVIDIA gets around to upgrading L4T to 20.04, which seems like a major
problem in the making for all of their other users who've built on
18.04. I'm guessing it would also be a major problem for Pipewire to
backport to the 18.04 libraries - they may depend on functionality not
present.But if they could backport it, I'd certainly test it if it
offers something better than JACK on the hardware.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 4:03 PM bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 07:01:31 +0100 Keith wrote:
> > > The biggest issue with Pipewire IMHO is that it does not support
> > > Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
> >
> > I would suggest you have that round the wrong way: Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't
> > support Pipewire. This is a Ubuntu problem, not a Pipewire one. If it
> > matters to an 18.04 user, they do have the option of upgrading to 20.04.
>
> i would suggest that edward had the rational perspective
>
> the distro is not at fault for "failing" to support something,
> which did not exist, or was very immature, or proprietary, when
> the dirsto was released
>
> the pipewire devs are the ones who had the option to decide
> which distros it may be compatible with - obviously, ubuntu18
> was not one that "mattered" to them - but no project is obligated
> to support any specific distro, so there is no fault there either
>
> i do not see any "problem" for anyone (yet) - use pipewire if
> you want to - switch distros if you must - but ... if good 'ol
> (lean and mean) JACK does not remain as an option, for those who
> do not need pipewire's extra bells-and-whistles, that could be a
> problem

Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!