[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Jul 2 15:58:13 CEST 2021

On 7/2/21 1:32 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> The particular incident that relates to Pipewire arose from the latter
> category - I saw some interesting writing about Pipewire and wanted to
> experiment with it on the NVIDIA Jetsons. They ship with an
> NVIDIA-supported operating system called Linux for Tegra (L4T), which
> is arm64 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" with some modifications and
> enhancements for the hardware platform. When I downloaded Pipewire and
> tried to install it from source, it did not build because some
> libraries on 18.04 are too old.

I assume the Jetsons are not your everyday machines, probably even headless.
I would argue that the main reason to run pipewire is seamless
integration of pro-audio needs with pulseaudio convenience on your
everyday office machine.

So if you "just" want to integrate the jetsons into you audio production
workflow, install jack and zita-njbridge and never look back. Also makes
for a lot more deterministic system.

As to backporting: that is a burden on the developers that takes
resources away from developing. Pipewire is a fast-moving, very new
project. You are on a customized embedded (and thus a little slower
moving) platform. That is a problem, but if you want to combine embedded
with cutting edge, you have to find a platform where the vendor tracks
the latest stuff. The only community big enough to warrant that expense
right now and deliver something close to "latest" is the Raspberry Pi,
and, to a lesser degree, Armbian-supported boards. I know it doesn't
help you, but I guess it's a fact of life.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net