[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 6 21:41:39 CEST 2021

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 12:37:55PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> At one time you added things that you wanted. These days you have to remove
> what you don't want - but might not even know was there until it interferes
> with what you want to do.

This is *exactly* what I profoundly hate about the way Linux and in
particular systemd based distros are going. After every update you
have to scan a zillion places to check if anything has been added
that needs to be  opted-out. If that is possible at all.

> I originally moved over to Linux to avoid this sort of thing.

Indeed. And that becomes more and more difficult. I don't want to
add to the systemd bashing chorus here - I originally liked the
idea of a simple and dependable process/service supervisor.
But there's one thing that the systemd advocates never made very
clear, and that is that the main reason why systemd was created
was to make Linux more 'corporate friendly'. In other words, to
take away control from the end user, whose only remaining freedom
is to opt-out, with all the work and effort that takes, of what is
dictated by some central administration. And of course the distro
maintainers like it, as it gives them the same power.

I'll give PW its chance when the developers tell me it's ready for
real life. Which will mean a session with around 15 jack clients
with a total of 800 or so ports. Should run without hickups while
watching a youtube movie and compiling a kernel at the same time
(which I can do now without any problem).

Ciao,

--
FA