[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

Filipe Coelho falktx at falktx.com
Wed Jul 7 22:58:52 CEST 2021

On 07/07/21 21:44, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 01:00:21PM +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>
>> Challenge accepted!... I made a little jack client with 32 input and 32 output
>> ports that memcpy the samples. Then I started 16 of those and linked them
>> all in a long chain.
>>
>> Then I linked the input of the chain to a USB mic and the output to another
>> USB card (it needs to do adaptive resampling to keep this going),
>>
>> That takes about 6 seconds to setup on my machine. I run this with a buffer
>> size of 128 samples and 48KHz.
>
> With jack1 this fails miserably. Reason is probably that jack1 recomputes
> the graph for each and every connection change, even if the actual client
> dependencies don't change [1].

> [1] This was one of the many things that my rejected patch (years ago) actually
> fixed. IIRC the complexity of jack_connect() in jackd1 is at least O(n^2) if
> not O(n^3) where n is the number of existing connections - this doesn't scale.

Except your patch was super messy, not formatted correctly and lead to
other issues, as described here:

https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-user/2021-February/113821.html
and then Rui added a note:
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-user/2021-February/113822.html

You keep mentioning up that patch, but it only worked for you, it didn't
for anyone else.