[LAU] Jack 1 vs. 2

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Feb 5 12:39:42 CET 2021

On 2/5/21 10:54 AM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 05/02/21 10:41, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> The essential changes also exposed a lot of very inefficient
>> algorithms. For example, if you make a new connection between two
>> clients that are already connected then there is no need to
>> recompute the running order, but it was done anyway just because
>> the existing logic required it. It doesn't matter if you have just
>> a few clients with a few ports. But this doesn't scale well to
>> bigger systems. So I decided to fix that at the same time. That's
>> probably why the patch was rejected.
>
> [...]
>
> It turns out the end result did not work well, so it had to be
> reverted [3]
>
 > [3]
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack1/commit/ea78c7e06e768a02d6129c43c51473a7f94cfd73

IIRC, Fons' "topological sort" patch was reverted just because the end
result were **audibly** worse that not, for most "normal" situations.

It wasn't quite about code style... you could actually **hear** the
damage to your ears! :)

cheers
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela