[LAD] Simple Pipewire test request

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 20:29:15 CEST 2021

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 08:56:56 -0700 Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 7/7/21 11:24 AM, John Murphy wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 19:01:25 +0100 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> >> Try:
> >>
> >> /usr/bin/pw-record /home/john/crontest.wav > /tmp/cronjob.txt 2>&1
> >>
> >> ...and have a look in /tmp/cronjob.txt after it's run
> >
> > /tmp/cronjob.txt says error: pw_context_connect() failed: Host is down
> >
> > I've no idea what that means, or why that should be so.
>
> https://docs.pipewire.org/group__pw__core.html
>
> ----
> Connect to a PipeWire instance.
>
> Returns
>      a The Core Global Object on success or NULL with errno set on
> error. The core will have an id of PW_ID_CORE (0)
> ----
>
> So it would seem that the pipewire client cannot connect to the server
> (or something like that). Could be ownership, permissions, even selinux
> if it is running.

Thanks for the thoughts. There are some selinux libs installed,
but not much else. I added a job to /etc/crontab like:

04 19 * * * root /usr/bin/pw-record /home/john/crontest.wav > /tmp/cronjob.txt 2>&1
and see the same error in the text file.

> It could also be that running things from cron does not establish a
> "session" and then you do not have access permission to audio devices
> and such (and dbus, as suggested elsewhere in the thread).

It's a long time since I've used root for anything, but I think it
would still have the required permissions to do anything. I begin to
wonder if this is by design, but I still don't know if it works for
anyone else.

--
John.