[LAD] Simple Pipewire test request

Fri Jul 9 04:12:29 CEST 2021

On 7/8/21 11:29 AM, John Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 08:56:56 -0700 Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> /tmp/cronjob.txt says error: pw_context_connect() failed: Host is down
>>>
>>> I've no idea what that means, or why that should be so.
>>
>> https://docs.pipewire.org/group__pw__core.html
>>
>> ----
>> Connect to a PipeWire instance.
>>
>> Returns
>>       a The Core Global Object on success or NULL with errno set on
>> error. The core will have an id of PW_ID_CORE (0)
>> ----
>>
>> So it would seem that the pipewire client cannot connect to the server
>> (or something like that). Could be ownership, permissions, even selinux
>> if it is running.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts. There are some selinux libs installed,
> but not much else. I added a job to /etc/crontab like:
>
> 04 19 * * * root /usr/bin/pw-record /home/john/crontest.wav > /tmp/cronjob.txt 2>&1
> and see the same error in the text file.

Maybe running as root is actually not enough :-(

I don't know how to fix this but it is likely that this does not
establish a "session" (or "seat") and then dbus is not running and then
nothing that depends on it can work. Maybe running the cron job as a
normal user? I don't know how you can convince the system that you
really are allowed to do all this...

< and if selinux is involved, maybe you can look at what is in the logs?
/var/log/secure, /var/log/messages, and hunt for denials or permission
problems? >

-- Fernando