[LAD] Simple Pipewire test request

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 14:15:12 CEST 2021

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 11:35:43 +0200 Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:52:18 +0100,
> John Murphy <rosegardener at freeode.co.uk> a écrit :
>
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:29:09 +0200 Dominique Michel wrote:
> > > On linux, the audio devices can be acceded by only 1 user at a time.
> > > Which imply, instead of being root for everything audio related, I
> > > would login as an user member of the audio group and, instead of
> > > using cron, make a custom user script.
> >
> > Thanks, but if Pipewire is going to prevent access to audio devices by
> > cronjobs, either accidentally or by design, then I'll be removing it.
>
> That issue have nothing to do with pipewire, but with how the
> kernel ALSA driver works. Which imply, instead of trying to workaround
> normal kernel operations and user/group permissions, you must work with
> them. It will be both much simpler and more reliable on the long run to
> use a joe user member of the audio group, and instead of messing with
> cron jobs which was never intended to be used to implement joe user
> tasks, just make a joe user (bash-python-...) script that will implement
> what you want to do.

I should have made clear from the start of this thread that I had been
running a script via user cron, to do the recording, which had worked
just fine (obviously not with pw-record) for months prior to installing
Pipewire. It's certainly possible I did something wrong, or that I did
something else around the same time to cause the problem. Which is why
I've asked if it works for others. No one seems to want to answer
definitively.

I was just using pw-record for testing. I couldn't actually use it in
my script as it doesn't have a -d (duration) option.

--
Thanks again, John.