[LAD] XUiDesigner -> create LV2 plugs from scratch

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Mar 23 18:50:01 CET 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Yuri wrote:

> Why do you need to design the UI editor from scratch?
>
> There is a very mature and stable software in this field - QtDesigner:
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtdesigner-manual.html

Plugins are special, they share memory space and library symbol space both
with the the plugin host as well as with any other plugin the host happens
to be using. Therefore the plugin must be built static. While it is true
that qt plugins can be built static, may distro repos do not want to do
this and have a policies against doing such. In a word crash. Using a GUI
that does not come as a lib, but as part of the plugin and must be
staticly built is the best way to deal with this. So if any budding plugin
author asks "which GUI should I use" the answer is generally "not GTK or
QT."

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net