[LAD] XUiDesigner -> create LV2 plugs from scratch

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Tue Mar 23 08:18:23 CET 2021

Am 23.03.21 um 07:52 schrieb Yuri:
> Hi,
>

> On 3/22/21 10:27 PM, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> I've done some work on my XUiDesigner project, and it is now able to
>> generate a working LV2 plugin.
>>
>> Still I would count it in a pre-alpha state, but, hey, it works.
>>
>> The project settings window allow to setup the specs (like Author name,
>> URI, Audio/Midi ports, etc.) for your plugin The saved bundle contain a
>> working LV2 plugin with all needed resources (ttl files, converted C
>> files from used images, etc.) to build, install and run it. All you need
>> to do to finish your plug is, implement your DSP part.
>

> Why do you need to design the UI editor from scratch?
>
> There is a very mature and stable software in this field - QtDesigner:
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtdesigner-manual.html
>
> And Qt is a leading UI toolkit, currently the best in the industry.
>
> If some audio widgets are missing - it should be easy to add them
> through a custom widget library.
>
> But rewriting the whole thing - redesigning interfaces, signals,
> callbacks, sizing policies, etc, etc - doesn't seem reasonable.
>

> Yuri

Hi Yuri

Yes, there is as well Glade for GTK.

And I used Glade a lot for building the guitarix interfaces, adding a
couple of audio related widgets to glade.

But, you wouldn't use QT or GTK for LV2 plugin interfaces, so both of
those tools wont be of any help when you would create a LV2 plugin
interface.

I've written XUiDesigner with LV2 plugins in mind, because, since I use
X11 for LV2 plugins, I find myself a way to often moving controls in a
interface by re-write, re-build and reinstall to find the position I
like for it.

Also, XUiDesigner did not only allow you to create a interface
graphically, it create as well all the needed files you need to build
the plugin, eg. it generate the complete bundle.

regards

hermann