[LAD] Cli sound file player requirements

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sun May 9 16:53:20 CEST 2021

May 9 2021, John Murphy has written:

> I need a command line sound file player which I can somehow control,
> while playing, to go immediately to a new position in the same file
> and keep playing without missing a beat. And a way to pause/continue.
Ecasound has good support for most of that. You can query the time
inside the file, to go positions, play and pause. but Ecasound is no
longer actively developed. There were a few fixes. Still, it's very
stable and well written. Ecasound also has a C/C++ API and libraries in
Perl and - I think - Python.

VLC amd mpv (mplayer fork) offer ways to be controlled externally. Not
sure how far this goes. mpv outputs the current position in text, I
suppose this could be used to read from a pipe. Not sure about any kind
of network control. The advantage of these players is certainly their
ffmpeg support of so many formats and their continued development.

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c