[LAD] Cli sound file player requirements

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Sun May 9 19:46:16 CEST 2021

On Sun, 9 May 2021 16:53:20 +0200 (CEST) Jeanette C. wrote:

> May 9 2021, John Murphy has written:
>
> > I need a command line sound file player which I can somehow control,
> > while playing, to go immediately to a new position in the same file
> > and keep playing without missing a beat. And a way to pause/continue.
> Ecasound has good support for most of that. You can query the time
> inside the file, to go positions, play and pause. but Ecasound is no
> longer actively developed. There were a few fixes. Still, it's very
> stable and well written. Ecasound also has a C/C++ API and libraries in
> Perl and - I think - Python.
>
> VLC amd mpv (mplayer fork) offer ways to be controlled externally. Not
> sure how far this goes. mpv outputs the current position in text, I
> suppose this could be used to read from a pipe. Not sure about any kind
> of network control. The advantage of these players is certainly their
> ffmpeg support of so many formats and their continued development.
>
> HTH.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Many thanks Jeanette and for the CSound afterthought.

A quick look at ecasound confirms what you say and if I can use the
C++ API, from within Qt, it will be better than starting an external
QProcess. Getting a pause button to work is going to be much easier
I think.

Looks like my secondary requirement will be satisfied by:

cs-get-position-samples
    Returns the current chainsetup position in samples. [li]

Wonderful!

All the best.

--
Thanks again, John.