[LAD] zita-a2j and zita-j2a zombie processes

Ethan Funk ethan at redmountainradio.com
Thu Sep 23 23:45:34 CEST 2021

I am using ubuntustudio-controls (and thus autojack) to manage multi-
USB audio interface scenarios as I continue to test my radio automation
software port/upgrade.  I am seeing a weird problem over weeks of
operation where every few days a bunch of new zombie processes show up.
 The original zita-j2a and a2j processes that autojack started are
still running, so this is not autojack restarting something.  The
zombies are all a child of autojack.  So best I can figure, autojack is
not detaching it's processes, or checking for process cleanup (some
python equivalent to fork/exec and wait/ join).  But why are these
being spawned in the first place?

Or maybe I am misdiagnosing, and this isn't autojack related?

I wouldn't care, except after about a month, the process list gets full
enough that Ubuntu (20.04) can't run any new processes. This is
critical to my automation system, which creates and destroys player
processes as new audio items are loaded, played, and completed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan Funk
https://github.com/eafunk/audiorack