[LAD] Controlling apps via hardware buttons

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Mon Feb 28 14:15:07 CET 2022

Am 28.02.22 um 13:31 schrieb Jonathan E. Brickman:

>> Audio related things I've written include python bindings for the jack
>> dbus interface, a jack application managing tool to start/stop/mute
>> applications via hardware buttons
>
> My 7-key SpiderIsland (USB keyboard interface, not MIDI) just came, and
> I'm planning to set it up with XFCE keyboard shortcuts to command
> non-mixer to do mutes and volume changes, of audio channels in my BNR (
> https://github.com/ponderworthy/the-box-of-no-return-3 ).

I have an example for python-rtmidi, which does a similar thing, i.e.
you can run arbitrary commands on reception of certain MIDI events. You
can combine this with e.g. "xdotool" to send keyboard strokes to
applications.

IIRC, non-mixer has an OSC interface, so the more direct way would be to
use a MIDI-to-OSC gateway. I have an example for that using
python-rtmidi as well

https://github.com/SpotlightKid/osc2rtmidi

... but these days I would recommend just using midimonster, which is
very powerful and an active project:

https://midimonster.net/ | https://github.com/cbdevnet/midimonster

Chris