[LAD] pipewire

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 16:03:03 CET 2022

Hi,

Thanks for opening this thread, I find this topic very interesting and
been discussing it with some people :-)

If it might be of help, I'm on Manjaro which is Arch derivative so
probably similar and I followed the Arch guide, and tried the
'substitution' - TL:DR: I eventually reverted back to pulseaudio+jack,
for now.

On 17/01/22 14:56, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

[...]

> I'd like to test pipewire as a replacement for Jack (on Arch),
> and have been reading most (I think) of the available docs.
>
> What is clear is that I will need to install the pipewire
> and pipewire-jack packages.

My problem with that set-up is that it seemed that something like Ardour
would need to be explicitly run via pw-jack so e.g.

pw-jack ardour

But then setting the samplerate (I have projects at different
samplerates), wasn't trivial.

If I understand correctly eventually pipewire will be a drop-in and the
pw-jack shouldn't be needed.

The other thing I wasn't able to figure out was how to use it as I
previously would use qjackctl

> And then ?
>
> How do I tell pipewire to use e.g. hw:3,0 and make all of
> its 64 channels appear as capture/playback ports in qjackctl ?

This was also unclear for me. I use 3 audio interfaces mainly and have
dedicated qjackctl 'profiles', and that works quite well for me, so
wasn't sure how this is handled in pipewire.

If you'd be willing to share any results in this thread it would be
really useful.

My current workflow is to launch jack when needed with the correct
device / samplerate configuration when needed, only _if_ needed open a
pulseaudio sink (e.g. browser audio needed while using jack). But I
understand that's might be a very 'personal' approach to it all :-)

One interesting (yet still anecdotal?) aspect is that potentially
pipewire manages to provide better latency?

Lorenzo