[LAD] pipewire

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:39:00 CET 2022

I've heard of success stories -- most notably with Fedora -- and keep
circling back to it. I'm using Pop!_OS 20.04 -- which is close 'nuf to
Ubuntu 20.04 -- together with the KX Studio repositories. Cadence et
all have been my friends...

So. without knowing at all what I'm doing, I tried pipewire a few
months ago and everything became an unusable mess. I uninstalled it
all and tried again recently. While I'm not sure how to use it all,
Catia now sees a whole bunch more than it used to, and various audio
apps that I used to fuss with a bit seem to be working automatically.

I found a couple of answers to "Replacing Pulseaudio with Pipewire in
Ubuntu 20.04"
https://askubuntu.com/a/1339897/2059
https://askubuntu.com/a/1365822/2059
to be particularly helpful in getting all the wee bits working right
-- as near as I can tell.

For what it's worth, summarized here, the latest iteration of my
experiments in installing:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install libspa-0.2-bluetooth
sudo apt install pipewire-audio-client-libraries
systemctl --user daemon-reload
systemctl --user --now disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire-media-session.service
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire pipewire-pulse
sudo rm /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf
sudo apt reinstall pipewire pipewire-pulse