[LAT] [Fwd: [pure:dyne] a working rt-kernel -- please test]

krgn k.gebbert at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:47:12 EDT 2008

thats for testing people!

> Robin Gareus said :
> > All right, that was too much of a good thing to escape Murphy's notice -
> > after ~45 mins the system froze.

actually, I am glad to hear that, silly it sounds, as I was getting paranoid
something was wrong with my machine. :)

> Karsten had the same problem
> the only one he tried on his machine that was not eventually freezing was
> the current p:d kernel
>
> http://code.goto10.org/projects/puredyne/browser/live/kernel/config-2.6.23-rt14
>
> using the same config moved to a more recent kernel + rt patches = freeze
>
> but it's hard to tell what is the problem, Karsten and I have both very
> similar machines and on mine one of his "problem" config was not freezing
> at all. Maybe I should have waited longer ...?
>

> His machine was freezing when running sc + iceweasel, and mine was fine
> with Pd + iceweasel. We used the same limits.conf but he was using
> rtirq.sh, not me.

I got rid of rtirq and das-watchdog entirely. after that, the machine didn't
lock up for at least as long as Robins session, ~45 mins, but the in the
middle of some session I would have liked to keep the recording of, dang..

> Maybe we could try to see how to reproduce the freeze?

it seems for me to be related to audio, as it only froze when doing some
more tough processing/synthsis with SC.

> > any ideas on how to trace this if it happens again? - I can not switch
> > to the console or use SysRQ! - nothing in kern.log either - most
> > probably it isn't flushed to disk when the system gets stuck.
>
> If it's the same type of freezes he had so far for different type of
> kernel/config, then it's a complete system lock.

yes, one can't do anything about this. I'm too lazy to do the kernel
debugging thing, so I'll rather hunt for a combination of patches & kernel
sources that work well. I have another kernel I'm testing, although there
are problems alsa there. will report back  there is time!