[LAT] 2.6 stable

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Aug 21 12:41:15 EDT 2008

aymeric mansoux wrote:
> Hey Daniel,
>
>>> and will switch to karsten's 2.6.24.7-rt17-pure soonish. And this will
>>> also be the default p:d kernel for the next liveCD
>>> release, as it seems 25 and 26 are too dodgy at the moment.
>>>
>>> If all goes well, we could use this kernel config as a basis for a
>>> common effort to build a LAT kernel
>> I'm very much in favour of that, because it means we can bring our
>> combined resources and communities to the quality assurance process.
>
> exactly
>
>> Having a reference implementation of the kernel might also help us to
>> work with audio hardware manufacturers, because it would enable us to be
>> definitive about whether a particular piece of hardware was supported or
>> not, and apply fixes where required. For example, we used to be able to
>> say that M Audio devices were generally supported, but the newest
>> hardware revision of the Delta range is problematic with current ALSA,
>> and the new M Audio multichannel USB 2.0 interfaces are not class
>> compliant either.
>
> Yes, that's a good point.
>
> Also from the user side, we have so many common needs and overlapping
> interests, I'm convinced we can all work toward a unified audio/video kernel
> config (or set of configs) and provide builds for different architectures
> and distros.
>
> This would simplify a lot things, and combine indeed our too many local and
> isolated efforts.

sounds good to me. How are we organizing this collaboration? What is the
common denominator for tools and infrastructure?  Do we want to agree on
a common file-structure for patches and .config files?  Are you going to
push or is LAO going to pull data?

I propose we start minimalistic and expand when needed ;) With this
email-list at the center, we do not need to (and should not) centralize
services at linuxaudio.org and retain freedom of distributors. LAO can
become a portal, meta-platform and hub. *YOU* provide any service you
feel is appropriate; if necessary LAO can provide hosting or backup.

more concrete: I think we should follow the kernel.org sign-off strategy
and git example. There can have multiple projects (alike
http://git.kernel.org) and a shared reference repository.

Here are two starting points: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kernel/
http://git.linuxaudio.org/ that can be expanded after brainstorm and
testing. For write access: PM a ssh-key and project-name to git AT
linuxaudio DOT org until we have a more formal procedure.

Are there intention for a [regular] /meeting/ (IRC)?

#robin