[linux-audio-user] Re: LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Dec 2 09:29:01 EST 2002

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 05:55:35PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>Can you elaborate more on how and why you use "lowpass->valve
>>sim->lowpass on the end" to create a more warm sound?
>>
>>Thanks. BTW. I think it would be a very good addition for the LAU FAQ so
>>I'll add this as it comes to light.
>

> Well, the why is easy.
>
> The fisrt lowpass pages away some of hte higher harmonics, his most make
> it sound smoother and makes the next step sound OK. The valve sim adds in
> some harmonics of the lower frequencies and the final lowpass smooths out
> some of the highs from the valve.
>
> Although... I'm now coming round the the point of view that I should just
> produce more self contained plugins, but I need inforamtion on what
> plugins you think need softening, so any feedback is welcome.

What about making a new plugin called eg. Analog glow, which is simply
the "lowpass->valve sim->lowpass" combination. That could save you some
time and be more universally applicable.

I would like to do this myself and will probably look into it if you
don't have the time or interest. Although after my last attempt I think
it may take a while for me to get things working properly.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman