[linux-audio-user] playing chords to help practise improvisation

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Dec 6 21:49:00 EST 2002

hi all,

i just started to play around with jazz improv.  what would be really
useful is if i can define a set of chord changes:

Dm7   G7    Em7   A7   Am7   D7    Abm7    Db9

and have my computer play it over and over again so i can improvise over
the key changes.   it would be great if...

it can loop: so i don't have to record the progression 100 times if i
want to play around with this 100 times.

the timing can change wildly: i can't really do much at the speed which
i normally play "satan doll".  the chords come too fast.  and it's hard
playing chords unnaturally slow (although i suppose that might be a good
thing to practise).

there were some kind of quarter note percussion that gives me a beat so
know when the chord is about to change.

it doesn't need to sound good at all.  my improv should sound good.  ;)

is there an app i can use for this purpose?

pete