[linux-audio-user] playing chords to help practise improvisation

Linium intent at club-internet.fr
Sat Dec 7 16:38:00 EST 2002

Le Samedi 7 Décembre 2002 03:43, vous avez écrit :
> hi all,
>
> i just started to play around with jazz improv.  what would be really
> useful is if i can define a set of chord changes:
>
> Dm7   G7    Em7   A7   Am7   D7    Abm7    Db9
>
> and have my computer play it over and over again so i can improvise over
> the key changes.   it would be great if...
>
> it can loop: so i don't have to record the progression 100 times if i
> want to play around with this 100 times.
>
> the timing can change wildly: i can't really do much at the speed which
> i normally play "satan doll".  the chords come too fast.  and it's hard
> playing chords unnaturally slow (although i suppose that might be a good
> thing to practise).
>
> there were some kind of quarter note percussion that gives me a beat so
> know when the chord is about to change.
>
> it doesn't need to sound good at all.  my improv should sound good.  ;)
>
> is there an app i can use for this purpose?

Well, any midisequencer should do it.
Just enter your chords, you will have to know what notes compose them.
I don't know if there are a sequencer that let you put the name of a chord
and get the notes played. (may be rosegarden ??).

On another track, put a simple beat to your taste.
The sequencer should have a loop mode. If not, copy/paste the pattern as many
time you can ;)))

So what sequencer to use ? Most of them should allow you to edit the notes
and get a midifile. Then you still can play the midifile with timidity in
last resort.

Linium