[linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 07:12:00 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:32:34AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Gerasimos Grammatikopoulos wrote:
>
> >If someone told me "hey, what do you expect? there is only a given number
> >of open source programmers familiar with the specific pains of music apps.
>
> AFAICT using alsaplayer with some effects almost achieves the same
> results as acid. But I have never used ACID so I can't qualify that.
>
> When I add the ability to set loop points then alsaplayer should be very
> close.

I think the clever part of Acid is the automatic loop or beat
identification. That is a solved problem though, anyone with a bit of
signal processing knowledge and a day or two spare could read the
literature on the subject and implement the code for that. Then theres
the UI ofcourse, but thats another problem.

It needs someone with the required skill and who has that itch to scratch.
Personally its not very near the top of my itch list, maybe becasue I
never used Acid.

- Steve