[linux-audio-user] Jack module-playing fun

janne halttunen jhalttun at pp.htv.fi
Mon Dec 9 13:25:00 EST 2002

Hi all,

despite of my hunt with google, I just couldn't find any module-player with jack-support.  So, I wrote a small script.  The xmp module-player allows for playing individual tracks from a module-file, and ecasound gives them out to jack.  Yeah, it is an ugly hack, (better would be jack-support to xmp) but it sort of works (though not perfectly: connecting ports is slow).

--cut--

# python jmp.py --help
xmp.py options:
usage: xmp.py [options] module-file

    -b, --buffer     set buffersize
    -r, --rate       set sample rate
    -c, --channels   override number of channels
    -l, --looping    loop module
    -n, --noconnect  don't connect jack-ports to alsa-playback
    -q, --quiet
    -v, --verbose

NOTE! external programs required:

Extended Module Player: http://xmp.sourceforge.net/
Ecasound: http://eca.cx/

# python jmp.py /home/janne/biisit/drumble.xm --looping
Jack Module Player v0.1a
connecting ports........done.

# jack_lsp
alsa_pcm:capture_1