[ardour-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Dec 10 18:22:00 EST 2002

 > I would of thought the paintbrush idea wouldn't be that hard to implement
in
 > ardour, just make a new MouseMode and have whatever region is highlighted
in
 > the region list inserted at the frame corresponding to the point at which
the
 > mouse is clicked. But I guess it's more complicated than that. I haven't
used
 > acid since version 1.0 or perhaps 2.0 so I'm not entirely sure how it
works.

Well, it may be just that easy.  Having a mouse-mode like that
could make the region inserting process a little less painful.
But what else could that mouse mode do......

[MWK] This part of the process in Acid is actually pretty intuitive. Think
of the idea that when you insert a wave file at measure 4, your paintbrush
is 'opening a window shade that covers the wave file'. The wave file is
inserted, and proceeds on to the right, but you don't see it.

As you then drag your mouse to the right, you uncover a portion of the wave
file, which becomes the part you hear.

Where Acid is more interesting in this regard is that if the wave file is
'Acidized', meaning it carries some sort of tempo and length information,
then eventually you will get to the end of the 2-bar or 4-bar pattern. If
you continue to drag you mouse to the right, you begin repeating the same
wave file. therefore, you can have a 4-bar drum pattern. You drag to the
right 16 bars, and Acid draw in the same drum pattern 4 times.

Again, remember that in this model there is only one wave file per track. It
just gets repeated as necessary. However, you can insert new copies at odd
time points, or start in the middle of the existing wave file in the middle
of the file somewhere, by using different editing functions.

It is important that Acidized wave file be well 'cut' at the loop point,
since the start of the second copy of the pattern must play cleanly from the
end of the first copy without any clicks and pops. This is NOT and Acid
issue, per se, but an Acid Library issue.