[linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Wed Dec 11 00:38:00 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 17:49, Darren Landrum wrote:

> When you buy Acid, you're also buying a decent loop library. Then, when
> you want more, for $30-$50 each, you can buy an enormous number of loop
> libraries featuring some famous and very highly-regarded musicians.

This is a point I made earlier, and I completely agree with you. It's a
major advantage that Acid has, and should someone here get interested in
implementing this sort of functionality, Acid library compatibility
would be a major advantage. Huge.

> seem to recall Bill Bruford doing a set of drum loops and fills for
> them.
>
> So, if you want an Acid clone on Linux, an important thing to consider
> is compatibility with the existing and rather vast Acid library. Now,
> if the Acid loop discs deliver their loops in a standard audio format,
> all is well, but what if it turns out to have proprietary elements? I
> honestly don't know. I would assume they use a standard format.
>
> This also brings up the idea of the Open Loop Library. Members of the
> community can contribute all sorts of loops and one-shots to the
> library for people to use, free for the download (and possibly
> attribution). Then users of our nifty Acid clone (which I'll call
> Alkali for grins) will have a resource for that fateful day when Sonic
> Foundry complains about people misusing their loops.

This is a pretty standard topic of conversation, both in the Acid world
and in the GigaStudio world. (Wanna talk about another good app to get
on Linux?) ;-)

Please keep in mind that we do NOT want to encourage the copying and
distribution of copyrighted material, which is most of the existing
libraries, and also of most of the stock programmed synth sounds. I.e. -
as much as I love some of the Nord Lead 3 sounds, it's not really
allowed that someone just record them and then make loops. (Or at least
that needs to be checked.)

> I am not much of a coder (I'm a decent Perl and PHP hacker), but I
> wouldn't mind doing what I can to help bring Alkali into existence,
> even if it is creating the Open Loop Library, a task I would be much
> better suited to.
>
> Any thoughts? Am I completely off base? Thanks for reading this far. :)

IMO You are on base.