[linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Darren Landrum consul at studioconsul.net
Wed Dec 11 01:45:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 10:33 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> This is a point I made earlier, and I completely agree with you.

Oh, sorry, I must have missed it. And here I was, thinking I was
keeping tight track of this thread. :)

> Acid library compatibility
> would be a major advantage. Huge.

Absolutely, but I have a feeling that reverse-engineering their
proprietary format (mentioned earlier by Gerasimos) would invite legal
attack. Now, since this format is used on only *some* Acid libraries,
we could still take advantage of other parts of the total libraries
available. But the person using them would need to legally buy their
own copies.

> This is a pretty standard topic of conversation, both in the Acid world
> and in the GigaStudio world. (Wanna talk about another good app to get
> on Linux?) ;-)

What, an open library of loops, samples, and patches? And yes, a good,
high-end sampler would be really nice for Linux. Isn't someone working
on one?

> Please keep in mind that we do NOT want to encourage the copying and
> distribution of copyrighted material, which is most of the existing
> libraries, and also of most of the stock programmed synth sounds. I.e.
> -
> as much as I love some of the Nord Lead 3 sounds, it's not really
> allowed that someone just record them and then make loops. (Or at least
> that needs to be checked.)

Again, I'm in agreement. In theory, once you buy a copy of a library,
the loops on it become "royalty free" (whatever that means), but I have
a feeling there are still strings attached.

And as far as I know, the factory patches of any synthesizer can be
used in music, whether that be loops or complete songs. And even if
they're not, I don't see how Clavia can prevent someone from using
their own personal patches for such a use. They made and sold the
synthesizer specifically with the intention of it being used on stage
and for recordings.

> IMO You are on base.

First, second, or third? ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll get started on a design for the
Open Loop Library idea and present it at some not-too-distant future
point.

-Darren