[linux-audio-user] usb audio still foobar :-(

iriXx m at irixx.org
Sun Dec 15 08:08:01 EST 2002

ahhh thanks kevin... yes that would make perfect sense, i noticed that
mandrake was using 0.9.rc2 and naively assumed that i'd manage to
upgrade it if i installed 0.9.rc5 from source (im not using rc6 yet
because of the record problems in usb-audio - not sure if they were
there in rc5 as well ).

ok.... slight problem in that i've already run ./snddevices....
should i uninstall alsa 0.9.rc2? or just manually remove the modules it
has installed?
i'll install the extra libs, and i've got an .asoundrc for the quattro
already....

my alsa portion of modules.conf reads like this at the moment: would you
be able to correct it for me? im familiar with oss but quite new to
alsa.... so im not used to these structures...
thankx....
m~

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
#alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
# card 1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# DEVFS STUFF
alias   /dev/sound      sound-slot-0
alias   /dev/audio      /dev/sound
alias   /dev/mixer      /dev/sound
alias   /dev/dsp        /dev/sound
alias   /dev/dspW       /dev/sound
alias   /dev/midi       /dev/sound

kevin ernste wrote:

| Mandrake 9.0 has it's own ALSA preinstalled (0.9rc2, I
| believe). Perhaps you created conflicts between the
| old and new installations/modules.
|
| In general, getting ALSA to work in Mandrake 9 only
| requires editing modules.conf  (often this is setup
| automatically as well).  I also recommend installing
| alsa development libs and of course the utils:
|
| urpmi libalsa-devel
| ...which installs
| libalsa2-devel-0.9.0-0.8rc2mdk.i586.rpm
| AND
| urpmi alsa-utils
| ...which installs alsa-utils-0.9.0-0.6rc2mdk.i586.rpm
|
| Then create an .asoundrc, etc.
|
| The modules.conf syntax used by Mandrake is somewhat
| less verbose than off of the ALSA site, but seems to
| work equally well.  For this machine with an rme9652,
| modules.conf says simply:
|
| alias sound-slot-0 snd-rme9652
| above snd-rme9652 snd-pcm-oss
|
| The devfs system takes care of creating snddevices for
| you (and this is mentioned in the ALSA installation
| instructions).  It specifies NOT to run ./snddevices
| on devfs enabled systems, like Mandrake.
|
| So, as to how to solve your problem, try to sort out
| the old modules from the new, discarding the old if
| possible  (old are in
| /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/ on my system,
| with subdirs:
|
| core    i2c      isa      pci      synth    usb
|
| Kevin

| Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
| http://mailplus.yahoo.com

- --
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

~ _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email