[linux-audio-user] usb audio still foobar :-(

kevin ernste kevinernste at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 15 13:28:00 EST 2002

> ahhh thanks kevin... yes that would make perfect
> sense, i noticed that
> mandrake was using 0.9.rc2 and naively assumed that
> i'd manage to
> upgrade it if i installed 0.9.rc5 from source

Ah yes.  RPM or tarball??  The kernel modules are
built as modules with the kernel, no RPM, but the libs
are installed separately in /usr/lib.  I think the
tarballs, however, install the libs, etc in /usr/local
(you can correct me here), thus the potential for
conflict.

As to resolutions, here are some ideas.

1. Uninstall the rc5 stuff (is their a make distclean
or make uninstall in the ALSA packages?), and install
the libs-devel and utils as I suggested before urpmi).
 In that case, you should only need to edit your
modules.conf, which I can help with if you go this
route.

2.  Uninstall the rc5 stuff and install the latest MDK
kernel (2.4.20, in the "cooker") which includes rc5
modules.  You can the install the libs-devel and utils
as RPM's then, but they will be rc2.

3. Uninstall alsa-libs (urpme libalsa), throw away the
old modules (you might tar them up first just to be
safe), and reinstall the rc5 libs just to make sure
anything that got removed gets put back.

The ./snddevices question is another problem.  I'm
afraid I don't know enough about it to help.  Perhaps
someone else has an answer...

>  # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> #alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

> # card 1

I don't see where you have specified a module for
card-0, is this not all of your modules.conf??

> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# DEVFS STUFF
alias   /dev/sound      sound-slot-0
alias   /dev/audio      /dev/sound
alias   /dev/mixer      /dev/sound
alias   /dev/dsp        /dev/sound
alias   /dev/dspW       /dev/sound
alias   /dev/midi       /dev/sound

We can get to fixing modules.conf depending on what
you do.  I have not seen the devfs stuff in
modules.conf before, though it should be fine there.
Usually, an addition is made to /etc/devfsd.conf.
This is, again, outlined in the ALSA install readme.
However, Mandrake 9 seems to take care of things just
fine here without any devfs specifications whatsoever.

Let me know how you progress.

Kevin