[linux-audio-user] Another New Debian User

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Nov 2 18:21:01 EST 2002

Hi,
Scott Downie hat gesagt: // Scott Downie wrote:

> If you would like to answer a small question in lieu of one of the
> larger questions listed above, here's one: What is the best first step
> I--as a Linux neophyte--can take to get Debian (kernel 2.4.16-k7) to
> make friends with my M-Audio 1010 box?

OK, I'll take the short route :)

The simlest way to install ALSA on Debian is staying with what
apt-get gives you.

Unfourtunatly alsa-modules-0.9xx ist strongly recommended for your
M-Audio card, IMO. So you need to add a apt-repository for Debian
"testing" to your /etc/apt/sources.list, because testing has ALSA 0.9:

  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian     testing    main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing    main contrib non-free

Then run "apt-get update" to update the list of available Debian
packages and then install a matching alsa-modules and kernel-image
package like:

$ apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 alsa-modules-2.4.18-k7

Also you need to install libasound2, libasound2-dev, alsa-utils and
alsa-base, some of which might get install with the above command.

You need libasound2-dev, because for the M-Audio 1010 you want the
tool "envy2control" which is not part of Debian yet. You can get it at
ftp.alsa-project.org included in the alsa-tools archive.

For ALSA modules configuration forget about using alsaconf, but
instead just copy the config from the docs at
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc to /etc/modutils/alsa and run
"update-modules" as root.

After that, a "/etc/init.d/alsa restart" should insert the ALSA
modules, and with envy24control and alsamixer you can unmute the
channels you want to use. Why are they muted? It's better for your
hardware, including ears...

Hope that helps, if not, just ask. That's what we're here for.

ciao