[linux-audio-user] formatting music

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Nov 19 01:41:01 EST 2002

please let me know if this is off-topic for this list...

i've been using chord to typeset music, and it works well for some types
of music, like popular tunes i'm familiar with.

it's a great utility and generates really nice output, but i'm starting
to need something a little different for things like jazz standards.

i'd like to be able to typeset something like:

|  Dm7      G7     |  Dm7      G7     |  Em7    A7     |  Em7     A7     |
|                  |                  |                |                 |
|  %   %    %   %  |  %   %    %   %  |  %   %  %   %  |  %   %   %   %  |

instead of what chord (or guitartex) does:

Dm7       G7     Dm7   G7       Em7         A7     Em7 A7
Cigarette holder which wigs me, over her shoulder, she digs me

in other words, lyrics are nice, but i'd rather show measures and
perhaps syncopation.  if i can do both, that would be fantastic.  but
i'd rather have the concept of a measure rather than the concept of
"this chord is played with this lyric".

any recommendations about a linux tool that does what i want?

pete