[linux-audio-user] amplifiers

Jim McCloskey mcclosk at ling.ucsc.edu
Sun Sep 29 21:16:00 EDT 2002

I hope you'll forgive me if I ask a *really* basic question.

I'm running a mix of Debian stable and testing. Kernel 2.4.18. I have
a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound-card. I'm using the OSS kernel
drivers, but working up to switching to Alsa.

I want to get better audio output---partially just for listening but
also because I'm doing more and more recording. I don't do games. So
for audio reproduction it's mainly a matter of DVD playing (opera and
jazz mostly, some rock). I use Xine for DVD playback; I also use
Ogg123 and Xmms for pure audio.

So my very basic question is: how necessary or how advisable is it to
put an amplifier between the audio output jack and the PC speakers?
Has anyone got a recommendation for a good mid-range or mid-price
amplifier that would make a noticeable difference?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Jim