[linux-audio-user] amplifiers

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Sep 29 22:21:01 EDT 2002

Jim McCloskey wrote:
> I hope you'll forgive me if I ask a *really* basic question.
>
> I'm running a mix of Debian stable and testing. Kernel 2.4.18. I have
> a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound-card. I'm using the OSS kernel
> drivers, but working up to switching to Alsa.
>
> I want to get better audio output---partially just for listening but
> also because I'm doing more and more recording. I don't do games. So
> for audio reproduction it's mainly a matter of DVD playing (opera and
> jazz mostly, some rock). I use Xine for DVD playback; I also use
> Ogg123 and Xmms for pure audio.
>
> So my very basic question is: how necessary or how advisable is it to
> put an amplifier between the audio output jack and the PC speakers?
> Has anyone got a recommendation for a good mid-range or mid-price
> amplifier that would make a noticeable difference?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time,
>
> Jim

It really depends on your personal taste. If you are satisfied with the
sound coming from your current setup then don't worry about it. But if
you want to sell your music then you should try to get the best studio
amp and speakers you can afford. Again that is a matter of personal
taste. What are the dynamic ranges of the music you are producing? Do
you have a lot of sub frequencies or are you concentrating on treble?....

There are so many options and scope you need to listen to any
amp/speaker setup before you buy to make sure you are happy with the
sound quality.

I have enjoyed listening through NAD amps and my friend swears by Denon.
I have also had a mid range Yamaha setup recomended but haven't listened
  to them yet.

Of course you can't go wrong with Bose either. They have a nice
selection at reasonable prices. That's what I'll eventually get (sigh.
one day).

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're
kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol
and put_symbol I think we used to have..."
- Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem