[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Bryan Koschmann - GKT gktnews at gktech.net
Tue Apr 1 03:38:01 EST 2003

Karel,

While I've just started my experience with sound under Linux, I can tell
you now, since moving to Slack over a year ago, my ulcers have gone away,
my hair is growing back, i've quit drinking, and I always have a smile on
my face. Okay, not quite, but you ge the picture. I've been using Linux
for over about 4 years now. i started with Redhat 4.2. I got fed up with
not being able to find RPMs, and then trying to compile the source only to
find missing requirements (source rpms) that it needed, only to not find
THOSE RPMs. With Slackware, I have no problems whatsoever, I only need the
tarballs or CVS downloads.

Granted, Slackware does have it's own type of "Packages", but they are far
more equivalent to tarballs than an RPM is.

Not to mention, testing Redhat 7.2 and 7.3 on an AMD k6/2-550 was almost
completely unusable due to slowness. Slackware 8.0 runs perfectly.

Good luck on your move. I'm sure you will be quite delighted to find
pretty much everything works the first time (provided you follow the
directions :P )

	Bryan

On 1 Apr 2003, Moeflon wrote:

|I think I'm ready to move away from MDK...
|
|Been messing around the last couple of days with MDK 9.1(rc3)  Or I did
|something wrong, or urpmi has some probs, anyhow, more than 3/4 of the
|sound rpms I tried to install from the 9.1 plf sources seem to be
|corrupted (as I may believe what urpmi tells me)

|=> 	Does anybody knows this comes? Is it normal?

|I 'm getting headaches from the rpm-system. I'd like to move over to
|Slackware.

|=>	Does anybody have any idea how difficult/easy it is to build a