[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 05:17:00 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:37:33AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Isn't Slack just binary and/or source tarballs? Why not keep Mandrake
> but don't use the package system and install everything from source?

You're still left with a bunch of impenetrable configuration files and
scripts, which I don't think you get with Slackware, nor so much with
Debian.

> Or if you want a package system done right maybe you should try Debian?

I'm using Debian. I was very disappointed with Mandrake when I found out
that, just because it used RPM patches, that didn't mean you could
download (RedHat) RPM's from anywhere and install them.

Gentoo is becoming popular with the folks who like a clean distro and
prefer to know what's going on inside it, but I haven't any direct
experience of it.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444