[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Apr 1 10:34:00 EST 2003

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 10:06, Austin wrote:
> Mandrake and RedHat do use the same RPM system.  You can install either RPM
> on either system.  The fact is, due to dynamically linked libraries, you're
> best to use RPMs built on the distro you're using.

I've noticed in recent versions that rpm resource naming has started to vary
enough between RH and Mandrake that when you try to install a RH package
sometimes it complains that some library isn't there because Mandrake's
naming scheme mandates a "lib" in front of the name.  You could get around
this by adding extra "Provides: " lines in the libs' spec files, though that
will naturally cause problems with libraries that also come with executables,
but I've never wanted to try to rebuild that many RPM's from the base
distribution myself.

Rob