[linux-audio-user] Mixing pro and consumer gear

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 1 18:05:01 EST 2003

Hallo,
Ross Vandegrift hat gesagt: // Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> I was thinking I might use the SBLive PCM Out to monitor occasionally.
> I know I wouldn't be able to record with both due to drift, but would
> monitoring work ok?  Would I be able to use the hardware mixing in the
> Live and/or Delta?
>
> ie, let's say I've got some people miked up, and monitoring with the
> four input and output channels on the Delta.  Could I use the output
> channel on the Live to monitor the session?
>
> Hopefully I'll get to play with everything soon enough ::-)

I have a SBLive and a M-Audio Audiophile in my main box, but I was
thinking along the same lines on my notebook, where I wanted to use
the internal soundchip for monitoring and a usb audio dev. for quality
PA sound. I could not get it to work with .asoundrc-magic at all, but
in theory it should be possible. But even then, the different block
sizes and hardware of the two cards, that are forced together, would
probably have led to problems with one interface not being able to
keep up with the other. Maybe some expert here can explain this in
more detail, but I think it wouldn't work. The general rule would
still apply: If you need more channels, buy cards with more channels
or cards, that can be linked in hardware. I guess, two Deltas for
example can be linked.

ciao