[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

rob fell robin.fell at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 2 12:20:01 EST 2003

> On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:09, Jan "Evil Twin" Depner wrote:
> > Sort of OT but, I hope you're not using ext3 for your audio data disk.
> > If so check this out -
> > http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html.  Specifically, Mark
> > Knecht's info on filesystem tests.
> >
> > Jan
>
> Jan,
>    I'd only offer that if ext3 does the job for a specific individual,
> then I don't think there's anything wrong with using it. In most case
> (except apparently current Gentoo!) ;-) it is better tested and probably
> more stable than reiserfs. If someone knows they're going to only use so
> many tracks and maybe isn't pushing the limits of what there hardware
> can do, or doesn't possibly try to run their sound card at the very
> lowest latencies all the time like you and I, then I would probably
> recommend ext3.
>
>    On the other hand, since I do tend to push the limits of what my
> hardware can do, should I EVER be able to run Alsa again, then at that
> unknown date in the future I'll probably be running reiserfs. Problem
> is, that date appears to be so far in the future anymore that I'm
> starting to expect xfs to be meat and potatoes by then. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I didn't mean to slur Gentoo kernels in any way - I've only confirmed that the
ext3 sheduling storm patch hasn't been applied (nor is it included in the
stock 2.4.20 I downloaded). Since I'm (currently) running an ext3 partition
this is currently under suspicion for the total system lockups under jack.

I had already read Mark Knecht's filesystem tests - a very interesting and
informative read it is too Mark.

Since I'm currently getting the software side sorted out I haven't yet
upgraded beyond a SB16, hence no need for extreme tuning. When I get the
terratec ews88mt that is currently the object of my (audio) lust (and a
halfway decent desk) that situation will need to be revisited.

The nice thing is that the guys in the band are all now aware of what FSF can
do - even in the hands of the least literate band member.