[linux-audio-user] Still: HELP: good sound card

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Apr 3 03:49:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Guy Clotilde wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:10:32 +0200 (CEST), Joerg Anders wrote / a écrit:
> I can't see why it shouldn't be _exactly_ sounding as you isa card.

Please have a look at my "why-i-want-a-hardware-midi-sythesizer"-page:

http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/soundtest/soundtest.html

There you'll find 3 files:

	1. example2.mid   - The MIDI source

	2. example2hardware.mp3 - produced by my AWE64 sound card with
				with soundfont 8mbgmsfx.sf2

	3. The same produced with

		timidity -s 44100 -Ow1Ml -o example2timid.wav example2.mid

	  unsing the so-called EAW patchess wich are known as the
	  best GUS  patches fir timidity

The 2. sounds like a real playing bigband. The 3. like
an orchestra in a stock pot.

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Tobias Ulbricht wrote:

> People seem to go for softsynths still.
> google for "fluidsynth" from Peter Hanappe (right spelling?), which loads .sf2 files.

I tried this. This is still worse than TiMidity. The strings sound like
a guitar (because the don't sustain the notes) and the drums are removed.(?)

> BTW, I think timidity ok.

Please have a look at the page above!

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)