[linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Jan "Evil Twin" Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Apr 6 14:11:01 EDT 2003

Ron,

	If you're really serious about having failsafe backup, get a PogoLinux
StorageWare 3800 1.2TB IDE RAID (RAID 5 with spare).  Use rsync to
automatically back up your SCSI RAIDs to the 3800 (crontab).  Then get
an HP Ultrium SCSI tape drive to hook to the 3800.  The drives run about
5K and tapes are down to about $80 per.  They are advertised to hold
200GB compressed, 100GB native.  You know how those advertisements are.
I didn't believe it so I did my own tests at work.  Using byte compacted
(as opposed to compressed or bit compacted) sonar data I got 170-180GB
per tape with an actual write speed to tape of 13.465MB/sec.  DDS just
ain't in the race at 1MB/sec for DDS3 or 2MB/sec for DDS4 (those are
rated numbers, not actual).  This setup would run you about 11K.  I
figured I'd throw this out here while we were dreaming ;)

Jan