[linux-audio-user] full duplex USB<->SPDIF converter recommendations

svz svz at iprimus.com.au
Wed Apr 9 08:25:01 EDT 2003

I would like purchase a very simple and straight forward USB<->SPDIF
converter and do full duplex streaming (i.e. record sound from SPDIF output
device, process the sound in Linux and play it back to SPDIF device in
real-time).

Would LOVE to know if anyone can recommend any of such devices (esp. from
personal experience, for example Edirol/Roland UA-1D or Opcode DatPort
appear to be such devices - only do they work on Linux...)

USB<->SPDIF converter *must* work in *full duplex* mode (with ALSA generic
USB driver or any other if such is available for Linux).

If you do have something to recommend, then I would like to stretch your
patience and ask you a question regarding the device/model of your choice:

considering, that USB<->SPDIF converter is capable of recording SPDIF
signal - I presume that it is capable of syncing to incoming input (i.e.
otherwise clicks would occur).

Also, given that the device is capable of playing to SPDIF device - it is
assumable that USB<->SPDIF converter has its own internal clock (i.e. not
recording anything, just playing signal back to say a DAT machine which will
need to sync to the signal produced by USB<->SPDIF converter, etc.).

Would I then be correct in thinking that if such is the case - then there
would be some way of controlling whether to use internal clock or to sync to
external signal - or would be such decision made automatically whenever
deciding to record - USB<->SPDIF converter will lock to incoming signal (in
such a case - it is important to know it, because problems could arrise if
for instance single DAT machine was used as AD/DA box *and* set to sync to
incoming signal - this way DAT machine would try to sync to USB<->SPDIF
converter, whilst USB<->SPDIF converter  would be trying to sync to DAT
machine... pitch shift anyone?)

Kind regards,
Leon.