[linux-audio-user] Looking for MIDI control interface.

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Apr 11 09:51:01 EDT 2003

Moeflon wrote:
> What doesn't work is to get any midi-I/O with rosegarden. I launch
> rosegarden, select a bank an try to play some notes. Nothing happens.

I don't know anything about amSynth, but I assume (from your
description, mostly) that it's a soft-synth driven via the ALSA
sequencer API.

It isn't even clear to me yet whether you get sound output from
Rosegarden if you aren't using the Evolution at all.  I asked
about this in a previous message on linux-audio-user, but I
don't think you replied.

What happens if you do this? --

 1. start amSynth
 2. start Rosegarden
 3. click-and-hold on the first track's label, and when the
    instrument popup appears, choose the first instrument on
    the amSynth device (unfortunately I don't know what the
    amSynth device will be called as it depends on the amSynth
    code, but it'll probably be the only device other than the
    Evolution's MIDI output)
 4. create a segment on the first track
 5. open the segment in the matrix editor
 6. run the mouse up and down the piano-keyboard-thing shown in
    the matrix view -- do you get any sound?

Also, try running the "rosegardensequencer" application from a
separate terminal window and sending the output to us at
rosegarden-user (cc'd here).  That should show a list of the
devices Rosegarden thinks you have present.

Chris