[linux-audio-user] midi Sys Ex dumps

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 18:26:01 EDT 2003

--- R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to Sys Ex dump from a digital mixer, tascam
> dm-24, to linux and then be able to restore the dump
> info.
>
> The mixer stores 99 different mix scenes, eight
> automation mixes and various other things.
>
> Is there a utility available?

Just found this thread:
--- Benno Senoner <sbenno at gardena.net> wrote :
[snip]
> I am not sure if it works but you could try to do
> the following:
>
> cat /dev/midi00 >dumpfile
>
> start the sysex transfer
>
> when finished
> press CTRL-C
> the dumpfile will contain the dumped data.

O-me-god, it seems to work...! I got what seems to be
the sysex dump I needed... What a wonderful OS!
Thanks, Benno.

> then to playback the data
> first start sysex receive on your midi module
> then do
> cat dumpfile >/dev/midi00
>
> which should send back the data to the midi port.

Could anyone confirm that? I've got an Elektron
SIDStation and there is no other way to save custom
programs than via MIDI/sysex. So if this does not
work, I'll lose all my carefully crafted custom
programs.
Thanks a lot in advance.
 - eric -

If there's no utilities, I'll happily try this out.

ron