[linux-audio-user] RE: midi Sys Ex dumps

Michal Seta mis at creazone.32k.org
Sat Apr 12 13:36:01 EDT 2003

Hi ron,

No sweat.  I thought I'd try it because I don't use that module so much, anyways, so I didn't mind loosing data.  I have been able to reset it, no problem and even upload the original SySex (ah, those 80's memories).  I even have some of my own sysex dumps somewhere in the backup CDs.

Anyways, at least the linux community knows now that cat x.mid >/dev/midi doesn't really work.  I would assume that editing the dump file (generated via cat /dev/midi >dump) into correct sequences of SySex messages and sending them sequentially (via a script?) might still work.

On a related note, I noticed (a while ago) that I have been unable to record a sysex dump to a MIDI sequencer (I tried MuSe and perhaps seq24) and then play it back into the unit (I mean I can record and play but I always get checksum errors).  Other people's SySex in .mid format works for me.  It could be that it's my synth sending erroneus SySex.  I haven't really looked into it in detail.

This is still with a Roland GR-50.  I know that some of the D series models had a bug with checksum calculations.  If anyone has any idea about this, let me know.  But it's no rush.  I would have forgotten all about this if it wasn't for this thread.  I guess I can blame Ron for reminding me of my old problems :)

cheers.

./MiS