[linux-audio-user] ALSA device sharing?

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sun Apr 13 18:26:01 EDT 2003

Hello!

Does alsa allow several programs to use one device, with soft mixing?

I have switched to alsa drivers, recompiled fluidsynth for alsa, and
tried to run it under KDE (in a Konsole su root). It failed:

===

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:866:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed:
Device or resource busy
fluidsynth: error: The "default" audio device is used by another
application
Failed to create the audio driver

===

Now, I thought I could get rid of arts and let alsa handle softmixing,
but... will it?

Well, I can install JACK. But I'm not only doing music creation. I want
to play MP3s via XMMS, watch videos with Xine, etc. Are there JACK
output plugins, at least, for XMMS and Xine?

--
Sincerely yours, Mikhail Ramendik