[linux-audio-user] Using DeMuDi

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Apr 20 13:07:00 EDT 2003

Darren,

>I have a few general questions for those people using DeMuDi,
>
>- Which version are you using - woody or sid?

Sarge. as i mentioned in a previous email, the "official release" of
this will be in a few weeks. i was lucky enough to do a workshop with
one of the developers a week ago, so i really got a lot of the bugs out!

>- Is anyone using a sid DeMuDi over a sarge (or even woody) base Debian?

is there a Sid Demudi?

anyway, for the record, here's what i did to get it running:

i installed Woody with the ext3 file system, then updated to Sarge,
built my own custom kernel with the low latency and preemptive patches
[don't forget the devfs and reiserfs support!], compiled my Alsa and
Jack, and got the Demudi apps. so, technically, i am only half-using
Demudi. i skipped using the kernel, although i have gotten the newest
kernel version running nicely on my laptop, there were still some issues
with it keeping its Alsa settings and such. also, some hand-tweaking is
required of the /etc/fstab to add the /dev/shm file system for the Jack.
next step is to ditch the ext3 file system and replace it with reiserfs
for smoother low latency operation, but that is beyond anything that
Demudi would do right now...

>- How much software are you replacing with upstream source balls or CVS
>versions?

i still get Alsa and Jack from source. especially Jack, as i want to
seriously optimize it right now, so i am trying as many tweaks as i can
find in the compile. i am not sure if the Demudi Jack version is
optimized for realtime operation by users [instead of root, which
crashes the shm file system anyway under Demudi], and if it is, then it
may not be possible to use it with an ext3 file system on a 2.4.20
kernel without lockup. if Guenter or somebody else has patched the
2.4.20 Demudi kernel package against this, it is not a problem. but i
don't know if all this is worked out yet.

other than that, there are almost zero sound apps which i have gotten
from upstream. many of the Demudi Sound Apps packages in the Sarge are
compiled from CVS versions [espc. PD, Ardour, etc...], although probably
not the LATEST in many cases, although the PD and related externals
versions I can vouch for specifically as being only a week old!

>- How 'usable' is your setup - I doubt that many have a workhorse
>solution, although there seem to be a few success stories on this list
>and elsewhere, but is it still really just experimental (in the Debian
>sense of the word)?

with Jack fine-tuned, i see my setup being highly usable... plugging  PD
and Ardour together alongside my HDSP card is my main goal, and i think
i am almost there. right now, it is just as experimental as i am.....

best,
Derek