[linux-audio-user] Rebirth File Player

Nick Tsocanos nicktsocanos at charter.net
Tue Apr 22 11:01:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 09:44, Guy Clotilde wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2003 01:42:15 -0400, Nick Tsocanos wrote / a écrit:
>
> > I am building a Rebirth file player/converter/sequencer.
>
> Hi
> I used to play with ReBorn, a ReBirth clone for Linux, that had legal problems with propellerheads. The gui was the same. But neither I don't see how a file format could be copyrighted (see MS-Word: OpenOffice can read and write .doc files. But I'm not a lawyer.

I wish I had been able to get a copy of Reborn.

> Anyway, It will be very nice if you release your program. Do you think it is difficult to have midi-synchronized capabilities?

Not really at all. My program Tekno Composer is like Rebirth sequencers.
The new version I am working (not released yet) is a full ALSA client
and will control other MIDI devices and drum machines. You just map the
MIDI output to the device (using ALSA patch bay and configuee the
patch/bank it will use).

I wanted to make a full file player that would emulate Rebirth too.
That is what I might not be able to do.

I wonder if the guy who did Reborn could use his code to make just a
file player so you could at least listen to Rebirth songs.

File formats can be copyrighted actually from what I understand. It is
possible to copyright them and refuse people to build a parser for it.

I guess after all these years people still use Rebirth.