[linux-audio-user] Best and Worst?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Aug 5 07:21:01 EDT 2003

Greg Reddin wrote:
> Rosegarden (latest stable version as of 7/15 - forgot the number)

Probably 0.9.1.

> [...] I don't like the fact that you have to start your synths
> externally from the application.

I personally (as a RG developer) like this aspect; it means that
you treat every synth in the same way and the program behaves
more or less identically whether you're using soft synths or
hardware synths.  For a long time I've been moaning to people
(and to the LAD list, on occasion) that I'd like to see a
standalone GUI app specifically for managing soft synths: to me
that would be better than doing so from within the sequencer.
In the absence of such a thing, Rosegarden probably will acquire
the ability to start and stop synths at some point.  I'm not
sure whether we'll ever go to the extent of running them in-
process like (I think) MusE does.

In principle LADCCA should take care of this kind of thing for
you (restoring soft-synth connection state etc), but Rosegarden
doesn't support it (or vice versa) yet.

> you could only record one track at a time.  The main thing I disliked
> about RG was the lack of a mixer window (maybe I just haven't found
> it yet).

No, there isn't one.  Something of the sort is planned for 1.0
but it's not there yet.

Chris