[linux-audio-user] vumeters when you're recording sound

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 7 05:46:01 EDT 2003

juto aviten wrote:
> Hello friends,
> I would like to ask you is there an application where i could use
> vumeters while I'm making a recording.
> I actually use a mandrake 9.1 with : audacity, rezound, wavesurfer,
> GnuSound and others but none of them have vumeters for recordings.
> Do you know if something is preview for that? or if someone works on app
> which do it?

There are a few ways to so it.

Qarecord from the qalsatools has it, as well as ecawave and maybe snd
too. You can also use meterbridge or ardour if you are recording through
a jack setup.

I tried using qarecord for a large session (90 minutes) and it failed to
record more than 2 minutes. When I stopped it spent about 20 minutes
counting down all the bytes it had captured (supposedly). I assume it
records to RAM. IIf this didn't happen I would use it all the time to
record jams.

Matthias. Can you fill us in on why that would happen?

--

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman